Messages les plus consultés

vendredi 10 juin 2011

HELP AN ARTIST



***UPDATE: As a way of giving something back to the LGBT community who have supported my work thus far, if the exhibition goes ahead, I'll donate $500 from pledges to Visual AIDS, a New York based charity which utilises art to fight AIDS by provoking dialogue, supporting HIV+ artists, and preserving a legacy. I'll also donate another $500 from sales of work once the exhibition is complete.***
WHO?
Hi, my name is Stuart Sandford and I'm an artist from the UK currently based in Brooklyn, New York. I mostly work with photography and video and you can see some of my work and what I've been up to lately on my website here.
WHAT?
I want to present an exhibition of my photographic work since 2004 here in New York.
Back in 2004, whilst living and studying in the UK, and inspired by photographers and artists such as Wolfgang Tillmans, Nan Goldin, Terry Richardson, and Ryan McGinley, I began photographing my friends and lovers. I wanted to document that period in our lives and took my little 35mm Yashica T5 camera with me almost everywhere I went. As a young gay man who grew up in a small town constantly exposed to the negative stereotypes of gay life, I wanted to make the photographs a celebration of being young and gay and didn't shy away from positive images of sex and relationships.
I've exhibited some of the photographs in group exhibitions in the UK, Europe and Australia and received a great response to them. However, one thing I've wanted to do for a while now is show them in New York.
With that in mind, what I'm aiming to do is present an exhibition of all the photographs I took between 2004-2007 in late summer 2011 in New York and exhibit them altogether for the first time in one space. Along with some newer works, including my Cumfaces series and a a number of recent video works, I want to present the photographs in their entirety (and there are approximately 70 images in total, ranging in size from 12 x 18 inches to 30 x 40 inches) in a fun, provocative manner in an alternative space outside the usual white cube gallery.
The photographs in the video above are mostly "safe for the office", however, you can see more of my work by visiting the following link which is NOT safe for the office ;)

HOW?
The funds raised for this project will be used to print, mount and frame the works, as well as to hire the space. The remainder will be used to cover publicity and the fulfillment of pledge rewards. My target goal is to raise a minimum of $15,000, but the more I raise then the better the show will be. It doesn't have to stop there either as, once all the works are printed and the New York exhibition is complete, they can then be exhibited in other spaces, in other cities (LA) and in other countries (UK, Germany), further expanding their exposure and the audience for them
WHY (KICKSTARTER)?
To mount an exhibition of this type and this quality costs more money than I could possibly invest on my own and that's why I'm using Kickstarter. I'm not represented by a gallery and have always worked independently, so the exhibition will only go ahead with your support.
A NOTE ON FUNDING
Kickstarter works on an all or nothing pledge basis. If the $15,000 goal (or more) is reached on June 27th, your card will be charged on that date for the amount of pledge you specified. If it doesn't reach the goal, you pay nothing at all.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire